An early stage with the building of the church c.1904
The church as seen from St John's Road looking towards Aldborough Road South. The shops along Meads Lane were still to come. c.1915
View from Meads Lane before shops were built. c.1929
The trees have long gone and the wooden fence was replaced by a brick boundary wall in April 1949.
The former pipe organ was built in 1908. It had 1,400 pipes! Various additions were made including an electric blower (1910) and a trumpet stop (1929). The casing to house the organ pipes appeared after 1948. The reconstruction of the instrument was completed in 1958. The organ had to be dismantled and removed during the redevelopment of the building in 1989.
The Lady Chapel as seen in the 1980s. This part of the building was furnished with a communion rail, altar and stained glass windows. Today, this is a small hall and is called the Chapel Room.
Looking west, through the wooden rood screen, towards the baptistery. (c.1984) Above the screen are two figures - Saint John and the virgin Mary.
Today, this part of the building is now the Worship Area. The font has been replaced by the altar and a communion rail. Most of the pews have been retained, facing the other way and some shortened.
The nave (1980s) looking east towards the rood screen, with the chancel behind and raised altar.
The area beyond the rood screen is now our large hall.
A history of St John's Church is available. (174 pages)
This book includes the early beginnings of the church; its growth; short biographies of ten vicars; a chronicle of events and many facts and figures.
It also has over 90 photos, mostly in colour.
Researched & written by Lester Amann, a long- standing church member and former church warden.
Available from the Church office.