Since 7th November 1920, our War Memorial has been a major feature on the western wall of our church building. Up until 1990, before re-development of the church, this flanked the baptistery, with our font under the archway.
Some of the men listed on our memorial were members of the St John's Football Club. Here are a few details:
Albert Paul (28) died in 1914 and lived in Chester Road.
George Underhay (28) died in 1914. He lived with his wife, Violet, in Colenso Road.
Leslie Stenning (21) died in 1915 and lived in Norfolk Road.
Gwyn Joy (23) died in 1917 and lived in Glencoe Avenue.
Also, in the Worship Area, is a War Memorial stand. This contains a Roll of Honour with 99 names remembering people in the parish who died in the Second World War, 1939-45. This tribute used to be located in the former Memorial Chapel of the old church building.
For many years this church was associated with the Ilford branch of the Royal British Legion. Their small building in Durban Road was opened in 1921 and a new one built in 1972. Over the decades, we held a Remembrance Day Service in our Memorial Chapel. Following re-development of the building in 1990, these annual services continued to be were held in the Worship Area.
As old war veterans died, and our local population changed, membership declined and the Branch had to be disbanded. This closed c. 2013 and their building vacated. The War Memorial Boards from their premises were donated to St. John's and can be viewed in the Chapel Room.